Monday, March 12, 2012

St Patrick's Day Layer Cake

It's Tuesday so that means we get to talk about food. And because it's St Patrick's Day on Saturday we are going to talk about green food.

I think that when you put 'Ireland' and 'food' together you most commonly wind up with potatoes, and as I shared on Friday, What Katie Ate has an awesome 'Irish Mash' recipe which comes as a side to her 'Irish Lamb Stew Pie' but after seeing this great pin here I really wanted to try out my very own green layer cake. Because I like to be efficient I thought I would try making my layer cake like these can cakes shared on Oh Happy Day!

So off I went to whip up this simple white cake from Sweetapolita and make my can cakes.... only they didn't really work out as hoped - I couldn't for the life of me figure out how long to cook them for and had a huge amount of trouble getting them out in one piece. So my original plan of a 4-layer 4-colour cake went down the drain and I used my two remaining batches of cake mix poured them into some ramekins and hoped for the best. And this is what I ended up with....

So you can probably tell that the two last batches I had left were the ones I had coloured darkest (btw to make the different colours you simply divide your mixture and add food colouring until you get your desired colour) and I had intended on white icing but after my previous failure just wanted to stick with a traditional buttercream, then I felt it needed a little something so I sprinkled on some coconut ... taste wise sprinkles probably would have been better and made a little Irish flag to top it off.

Joel said the icing was awesome and the cake definitely worth making again... maybe not green next time though

No comments:

Post a Comment