Monday, August 20, 2012

On the Table. Caramelised Onion Relish

If you happened to see any pictures of our wedding you might have noticed that we love cheese so sometimes we like to keep things simple and have cheese for dinner. They are the best nights and a ploughman's lunch is my absolute favourite way of eating cheese. This time round though I made use of the purple onions in the fridge to make a yummy caramelised onion relish.

When I make something whether it be a cake, biscuit, relish, pasta etc I always head first to Tastespotting and then Google gathering together the recipes and looking at similarities and differences then picking the one that fits what I have in the cupboard or sounds the most practical.

For this relish I picked a base then half way through realised I had been using a 1/2 cup measure for everything not the one specified and I don't think it really made much of a difference.


So if you want to make your own super yummy relish take these ingredients; Purple onion, olive oil, mustard seeds, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, a bit of salt and pepper and make it to taste.


The only really important thing (I think) is to make sure you don't stinge on cooking time, cook the onions in the olive oil until most of the colour is zapped out of them.

Also make sure you use OLIVE OIL, I remember making it with butter once before and it just didn't cut it.


And remember it gets better with age, but not too long :)

2 comments: