So at the start of the week I promised I would show you my neat trick for turning regular jeans into skinnies, but I guess the question many might be asking is why I wouldn't just buy regular skinnies instead. Well I am poor, but also I have a big butt, it's huge and that means that low rise jeans are my mortal enemy - I personally think they are most people's enemies but particularly those with larger posteriors and generally most skinny jeans only come in low-rise. Which sucks.
So last week I bought myself a $20 pair of black mid-rise bootleg jeans and today I turned them into $20 black mid-rise skinnies...
2. Unpick the hem around the side you will be taking in - in my case I unpicked the hem around the outside seam
3. Put your jeans on and place a pin where you want to start taking them in - for me this was about mid-thigh
4. From that pin you will basically be trying to sew a straight line down to the hem - for these jeans this meant taking in as much as 5cm
5. Do one leg at a time and try on each time you sew a seam - taking in where necessary (because these jeans were bootleg I had to do more around the ankles)
6. Once you are happy with the fit cut off the excess and finish edges with a short-length zig-zag
7. Chances are your pants are going to need hemming as well - mark where you want them to sit, cut off excess and hem as usual (fold over twice and sew along the bottom)
8. Voila!! Awesome jeans!!
There are probably better, more professional ways to do this but for the moment this will do me fine :)