Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cinco de Mayo DIY no. 3

Recapping Monday we had Tissue Paper Pom Poms, Tuesday I made Chilli Choc Lava Cakes and today I am going to show you how to make a simple Tassel Garland.

As with the Tissue Paper Pom Poms the tassel garland is another decorating staple that has hit it big lately though I think there is one place that can be credited for making it fabulous and that is the one and only Confetti System, look here for a taste of their shiny happy goodness. You might remember I made a gold and white tassel garland at Christmas using tissue paper.

As always I use the materials that I have on hand and as I used all my tissue paper on Monday's project I gave simple coloured paper a try.
1. Fold a sheet of A4 paper in half and make 1cm (roughly) cuts leaving about 3cm on FOLDED edge - to save time you can stack two sheets at a time (or more if you feel your scissors can handle it)
2. Open out the sheet of paper carefully
3. Roll your paper into a tube as tightly as you can
4. Place a dab of hot glue at the point where your cuts begin on one side
5. Carefully fold your tube back in half securing at glue dot and leaving a loop at the top so tassel can be threaded onto string
#if you are using tissue paper or crepe paper twist the centre tightly and then twist each section around the other leaving a loop at the top, you may not need glue or simple craft glue may work. see this DIY for more help#
6. Repeat with all remaining paper - I made 5 tassels out of each of the 5 colours, leaving the glue part till last so I could do them all at once
7. Optional: You can 'finish' the tassels by taking a small bit of paper and fixing it around the top of the tassel - this will cover up any visible glue etc
8. Thread your tassels onto a bit of string/ribbon etc and hang - make as long or short as you want
VOILA! finished!

There are lots of fun and different ways to make and use the garland - try using different materials like fabric if you do end up making some please please feel free to upload your pics onto my Facebook page here

No comments:

Post a Comment